Independent Puerto Rico

It is pretty much independant isn't it?
It rules its own internal affairs and it would have very little impact even in the carribean with its own foreign policy.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Melvin Loh said:
Have there been many threads on this board re the ramifications and possibilites re an independent Puerto Rico ?

I think you would need a stronger independence movement pre-1898 to have this. The problem was that Puerto Rico was pretty much calm under Spanish rule and that they more or less exchanged one master they were reasonably happy with for another

If it had become independent then it would have been open to the sorts of upheavals seen in Cuba, Haiti etc. Maybe Che Guevara would have brought about a Communist rising, an ally for Cuba and the USSR in the Caribbean ?

Grey Wolf

The Puertorican POV

I was born in New York but I'm living in the island right now and pretty much the feeling is split between statehood and the continuance of the colonial status. The independence movement is only followed by a small group and is pretty much dead.

I agree with Grey Wolf in that the best way to have a independent Puerto Rico has to be a pre-1898 POD. Except for the violent proto-fascist Nationalist Party terrorist attacks in the late 40's-early 50's(the attack to Congress and to President Truman for example) and the early 1980's small scale terrorist attacks by the Macheteros group(the destruction of every single one National Guard fighter plane on the island in the early 1980's for example. That raid was used as an example of a well planned operation in my counterterrorist class on the Marine Corps in the early 1980's) the island has been very calm. But in the majority of the cases the population see themselves as Puertoricans firsts and them as Americans.

The invasion of Puerto Rico was an afterthought of the Spanish-American War. Maybe peace before american forces landed on the island so no legal rights for annexation? I know I'm pushing it

Also PR was a British colony for 3 months on 1598 after the capture of the city of San Juan by a british force but cholera forced the British invaders to withdraw. A independent member of the Commonwealth, perhaps?

Last edited:
England are taking no colones in the 16th and maybe even a lot of the 17th centuries. We wouldn't be able to hold Spain off at the time, they were just too powerful.