Earlier Colonization of North America

Does anyone know of any books, timelines, essays, etc. dealing with an earlier colonization of North America by the Norse people?

Diamond

Banned
  • 'King of the Wood' by John Maddox Roberts. Vikings vs. Mongols in America
  • 'The Crystal Empire' by L. Neil Smith. Norsemen colonize New England to escape the Plague.
  • The Midgard setting in GURPS Alternate Earths 2.

Poul Anderson

There is an excellent Poul Anderson story about a interdimensional traveler who visits a scandinavian North America from a world influenced by the Greeks, and is attacked and pursued by the natives. The McGuffin is that he is a pederast, acceptable in his society but very definitely not in theirs.

Yes, they were released 'bundled'. They were actually pretty good stories, each involving changes all over america.

As I recall, Turtledove's story had Islam taking control of south america and vikings north, (although they shared power with other kingdoms.) The Inca and the forces of Islam were locked in a war, pretty good read.

Yep, that's the one I remember. It was a good read although the ending where the Moslems get convinced the pagan Incas were also "people of the book" seemed a little lame to me.

The Muslims didn't stop the war Just the Terror Part, which seemed plausible to me. I did think he didn't give an nuff thought to what Steam Airships would do to the Devolpment of Small Steam engines.

Empty America

Goggle on "empty america" in SHWI Fasinating TL about a Vinland in a "America" Where no-one crossed the Bering Bridge. He's up to part 9, and I'm eagerly awaiting the Next .