No Salic Law

The Salic Law is not proposed. Joan inherits the thrown after the death of her brother John in 1316. Edward III of England claims in 1316 not 1337. More to come.

Interesting hypothetical...some questions

So, I assume you are having the law state that not only can a line of succession go through a female, but that one can rule. Fair enough but would the French accept a female ruler? (this scenario reminds me of the civil war between Stephen and Matilda in 12th c. England.). Bear in mind that Joan couldn't have been any older than 11, so that would count against her as well.

I could see her uncles Philip and Charles arguing that her minor status would disqualify her (or fighting over control of the regency).

Also, Edward III was four in 1316, and Edward II is too weak a king to contemplate claiming a throne for him. Also, if France isn't following the Salic Law to begin with, then Edward III has no claim as Joan descends from the eldest child of Philip IV while Edward III only descends from the second child (Isabella, who married Edward II).

bill_bruno said:
So, I assume you are having the law state that not only can a line of succession go through a female, but that one can rule. Fair enough but would the French accept a female ruler? (this scenario reminds me of the civil war between Stephen and Matilda in 12th c. England.). Bear in mind that Joan couldn't have been any older than 11, so that would count against her as well.

I could see her uncles Philip and Charles arguing that her minor status would disqualify her (or fighting over control of the regency).

Also, Edward III was four in 1316, and Edward II is too weak a king to contemplate claiming a throne for him. Also, if France isn't following the Salic Law to begin with, then Edward III has no claim as Joan descends from the eldest child of Philip IV while Edward III only descends from the second child (Isabella, who married Edward II).
You are correct I did forget to check the respective ages. Joan would have been 5 at the time.