1982:Queen of England found murdered

Proctol

Banned
In 1982 suicidal intruder Michael Fagan managed to get next to the sleeping Queen Elizabeth II's Buckingham Palace bedside undetected.
http://history1900s.about.com/library/weekly/aa112300a.htm

WI Fagan had killed her & made good his escape? What would have been the effect on British society of the sensation of the the Queen of England being slain in her own bed and the assailant never caught?

The then newly married Charles & Diana would have become King & Queen. With what effect, if any on UK & world history? Would peer pressure & their royal responsibilities have kept their straying ways in check despite their loveless marriage, or would they ultimately have divorced as in OTL, but with even more of a sensation?

If Fagan had been caught, is it possible that an exception would have been made, & he would have been hung? (Until recently, High Treason, arson in a naval dockyard & adultery with the Royal Consort were still on the UK statute books as being hanging offenses).

Last edited:

Xen

Banned
I seem to remember reading something that the Queen once thought she saw someone in a crowd pointing a gun at her family. She said she wasnt scared for herself but was much more concerned for her family and her pregnant daughter in law, Dianna. Thats back when she was pregnang with William I believe.

Chris

Banned
Interesting idea, I might just do one based on it:

General thoughts: Charles is an idiot. If he's king, however, that idocry won't be so noticable, while Diana can work on crowds like she did in OTL. OTOH, charles might screw up like Philip did once, with far more disasterous conisquences.

Chris

Proctol said:
If Fagan had been caught, is it possible that an exception would have been made, & he would have been hung? (Until recently, High Treason, arson in a naval dockyard & adultery with the Royal Consort were still on the UK statute books as being hanging offenses).

I think UK did away with death penalty and new laws replace older ones they conflict with (so if they did away with death penalty and still keep older laws for it it can't be done).

Grey Wolf

Donor
The death penalty remained on the statute for High Treason until a few years ago. However, it would not have been carried out - the setence would have been commuted to life imprisonment. The precedent for this is crimes in the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands where the death penalty remained in place, after the 1960s these were ALWAYS commuted to life imprisonment. Of course the irony is that FORMALLY the sovereign does this, so in practice it would be Charles doing it for his mother's killer

Grey Wolf

Major security laws

Figure statutes regarding increased surveillance, a national ID card, etc. That's probably it. No offense but British royalty isn't really that important.