CMW recovery

How much would 1962 Atomic War retard Civilization?

• <10 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-40 years

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • 40-140 years

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • >140 years

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
As part of my effort to prepare a TL of the Cuban Missile War, what do you think is the likely timescale to recreate a 1962 equivalent world (trade, population. technology, etc)?

Since I voted 40-140, it seems to be shaping up to about a long generation.
BTW, my late friend Ed Langley estimated 50-100 years.

Winter War, 1961

Nuclear war winter would kill so many people that there would be more wealth per capita after the war than before, despite the destruction of American, West and East European cities.
New industrial centers would form in the south, like Argentina, Australia, Asia, and Africa.

two possibles

I read a Article were a nuke planner produced [In Fun] a map giving 95% of Britian a 5% rise in per captia Wealth- by nukeing the other 5%.

Given the number of and type of, Nukes avalibile in 1962, and the probable '62 targets. You have to seperate the phisyical damage, from the Social & cultural Damage. I'd give the phisyical about 40 - 50 [ there are trees growing at Ground Zero, White Sands, in the 1980's] years,

In Concidering this Remember
1-in 60 years of testing for, there has been no large rise in mutation rates, or in other really long term assignable health problems.
2- Fort lauderdale is 20 miles from Miami, Allentown is 20 miles from Pittsburg, But the effect on either town, of bombing, would be vastly different.

The Social & Culture effects, would be more damaging, I'm not even sure if your 140 is long enuff.

Well, culturally and socially it might NEVER "recover", at least not in the sense of not having consequences and being like it would be if the war had never happened. The UK has never "recovered" from losing the War of American Independence in this sense, for example.