President Dukakis

Straha

Banned
Dukakis wins presidency 1988. consequences? heres what I'd think would happen

This one is FUN. Forget how absurd it is:
1. Final expulsion of the establishment wing of the GOP. The Bush, Dole
types completely marginalized.
2. The 92-94 realignment happens in 88-90 - GOP takes the House in 90 and
the Senate in 92 when the Demo class of 86 comes up for reelection.
3. With or without Perot, a Reform type party comes into being 90-96.
4. A Reaganite President 92 - current:
a. Star Wars defenses begun in earnest
b. School Prayer, Flag Burning, Balanced Budget ammendments passed and
ratified.
c. School voucher system national wide
d. welfare reform sooner and deeper
e. Tort reform massively put into effect
f. A much more conservative judiciary
g. Prison population at double current size
h. RTL ammendment fails
i. Some form of flatter, simpler tax including reduction
of inheritance and gift taxes to only the truely wealthy (
say top .1%)
j. Much larger earned income credit to help working poor
k. More nationalist trade policy
l. Free trade area of the Carib a certainty and of the Americas a
possibility
m. Much current antitech legislation deminished
n. Progress begun on privatizing Social Security
o. Expanded IRA's and tax free status for moderate levels of savings.
p. regulatory state hacked at at fringe's but not dismantled

Very timely. I saw Michael Dukakis just last week. He is a professor in the Urban Planning Department here at UCLA. I've known for a while that he taught courses on campus, tho I think a majority of them are undergraduate.

Here's a thought:

Event A: Dukakis by some fluke gets elected.
Event B: Reaganite-president elected in 1992, after Dukakis alienates people with his liberalism.
Event C: WTC attacked in 1993.

Event C actually happened in OTL. What if it's worse in this ATL? The war on terror has caused the US to adopt a pretty hard line foreign policy in OTL under Bush, a *"Compassionate Conservative." Just imagine how it would be under a Reaganite Conservative.

*A phrase that, like his father's "kinder, gentler America", further makes people with any Conservative leanings look bad. Nice going, Dubya.

Zach Rosen said:
And yeah Peter I agree. Didn't like Bush Sr. much at all.

Yes, while I admire what he did in WWII, but I find myself shaking my head when I look at what he did in office*. The "no new taxes" comment was stupid enough, but the "kinder, gentler America" comment was just insulting (again, much like his son’s “Compassionate Conservative”). Add that to his failure to take down Saddam when he had the chance, and his incredible ability to hold a near ninety percent approval and lose to a slick, token baby-boomer democrat and you get one of the oddest, more ineffectual Republican leaders in a while. Good thing his son has shown some more common sense than his dad or Clinton ever did in office, when it comes to foreign policy and public relations. Otherwise the GOP would be screwed right now.

*I was only five at the time. Anyway, you can imagine how odd it is looking up information on the father of the current president, who was in office 12 years ago.

POTUS P.Diffin said:
*I was only five at the time. Anyway, you can imagine how odd it is looking up information on the father of the current president, who was in office 12 years ago.

Ha! I'm older than you! I was 8 in 1992!

Zach Rosen said:
Ha! I'm older than you! I was 8 in 1992!

Actually, you're about four years older than me, according to your profile. In 1993, you probably would have been around 3 1/2 to 4 years older than me.

Who would be the most likely candidate for a Reaganite president in 1992, though? Maybe Dole? Although he lacked the combination of Conservative values and charisma that Reagan had. Maybe Kemp would have been a more likely choice, though he would obviously have been slightly less right-wing. This might result in the GOP getting a better image with Minorities and the Poor though...

I assume that with Dukakis as President several things would follow.

One is that the "Thatcher Reagan" model of capitalism would not be seen, in 1989, as the only show in town.

There is a chance that Russia's "reforms" would have gone through in a less brutal way. Maybe that would have produced saner leadership and hopefully less inclination to do what they did in Chechenia.

Clarence Thomas would not be a Supreme Court Justice.

Most Democrats would support Dukakis in backing Kuwait and in winning Gulf War 1.

I am not sure that it is so certain that he would have lost in 1992