What if Roswell REALLY happened?

I'll probably be shot for this but here goes. What if in 1947 UFO s did crash in the desert? What happens next? The start of a Long coverup? What if the press-Drew Pearson, Walter Winchell,etc get wind of the story. Will this be the start of a BIG STINK?

Either a Russian plane crashes over Roswell (or something of the like), or this thread is ASB territory.

That said, I do like to believe that it was an alien spacecraft, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

DominusNovus said:
Either a Russian plane crashes over Roswell (or something of the like), or this thread is ASB territory.

That said, I do like to believe that it was an alien spacecraft, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It is only ASB territory if it in fact didn't happen. And I (along with many people) do not know for certain that this is the case. I have seen some plausible alternate explanations for some parts of the Roswell story. But plausible doesn't necessarily mean actual. The government is very good at covering up stuff it doesn't want known, and something like this would, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone, be given the deepest secrecy possible. I don't know whether a spacecraft in fact crashed in Roswell, but I also do not know that one did not do so.

Last edited:

Diamond

Banned
I think its pretty arrogant to assume we're alone in the universe, but I also think that any self-respecting ET would have better things to do than anally probe a bunch of hairless monkeys and crash their ships into our planet.

Hmmm... Maybe they're a bunch of alien frat boys? :D

Or maybe the aliens just have a strange redneck fetish.

But what will really cook your goose is the thought of whether or not modern human technology is the result of alien intervention or not. A crash at Roswell would be just one type of intervention albeit indirect intervention.

I seem to remember something like this on an episode of Johnny Quest.

Diamond said:
I think its pretty arrogant to assume we're alone in the universe...

I agree...

Diamond said:
...but I also think that any self-respecting ET would have better things to do than anally probe a bunch of hairless monkeys...

YUCK! :eek: I agree that the stories that the so-called alien abductees tell are pretty hard to believe. But that has no real bearing on the Roswell case.

Diamond said:
...and crash their ships into our planet....

Well, even ET can have accidents. I am sure they wouldn't have INTENTIONALLY crashed into our planet. :D

Ace Venom said:
Or maybe the aliens just have a strange redneck fetish.

But what will really cook your goose is the thought of whether or not modern human technology is the result of alien intervention or not. A crash at Roswell would be just one type of intervention albeit indirect intervention.

I seem to remember something like this on an episode of Johnny Quest.

Not by a long shot. Unless 90% of the modern historical and the public is false (you'd have to be pretty hardcore in tin foil hat crowd to believe that) then you have to deal with all the patents, legal papers, drawings on the back of napkins, etc. that have accumluated over the years. Example: The first stealth the American gov't started experimenting with was based upon a theory presented in an obscure science paper from a Russian scientist during the Cold War (the diamond geomentry was used the F-117). The Soviets decided it wasn't worth their time and we cribbed it from them. Guess what, that scientist is now working for McDonald Douglas. So now any person espousing the theory that stealth was derived from alien technology (there are a few) has to deal with a real flesh a blood human being who supposedly developed quite independently of alien technology and the historical record to go along with it.

Heck, even the stealth used in the B-2 is a re-discovery of earlier concepts. The developers of the Nazi flying wing (I forget the model name, but it's sitting in the Smithsonian) discovered that there design had a lower radar cross-section than conventional planes, but they originally used the flying-wing design because it was more efficient. Before that, Henry Ford was playing with flying wing designs...

Anyway, you get my point. The vast bulk of modern technology has a clear documented path of development. Not much chance of laien influence, unless one is able to point out a few interesting anomalies...

robertp6165 said:
It is only ASB territory if it in fact didn't happen. And I (along with many people) do not know for certain that this is the case. I have seen some plausible alternate explanations for some parts of the Roswell story. But plausible doesn't necessarily mean actual. The government is very good at covering up stuff it doesn't want known, and something like this would, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone, be given the deepest secrecy possible. I don't know whether a spacecraft in fact crashed in Roswell, but I also do not know that one did not do so.

Yes and no. The government is good as covering up things if it has time to plan ahead. With the supposed circumstances of the Roswell crash, they are in the worst situation possible to cover it up. That, and any reason to keep it secret disappread with the Cold War. Also, classified material not deemed critical to national security under the FOIA has to be de-classified by law. You get into sticky legal issues the longer you keep it secret.

david3565 said:
Yes and no. The government is good as covering up things if it has time to plan ahead. With the supposed circumstances of the Roswell crash, they are in the worst situation possible to cover it up. That, and any reason to keep it secret disappread with the Cold War. Also, classified material not deemed critical to national security under the FOIA has to be de-classified by law. You get into sticky legal issues the longer you keep it secret.
Unless, of course, it really was an alien spacecraft, then they could still make the argument that it has to be classified.

david3565 said:
Heck, even the stealth used in the B-2 is a re-discovery of earlier concepts. The developers of the Nazi flying wing (I forget the model name, but it's sitting in the Smithsonian) discovered that there design had a lower radar cross-section than conventional planes, but they originally used the flying-wing design because it was more efficient. Before that, Henry Ford was playing with flying wing designs...

The HO-229. (The one they were designing to bomb New York)

david3565 said:
Yes and no. The government is good as covering up things if it has time to plan ahead. With the supposed circumstances of the Roswell crash, they are in the worst situation possible to cover it up.

I agree, to an extent. However, remember, they didn't do a perfect job covering it up. It was initially leaked to the press, the local commander there actually STATED to the media that we had found an extraterrestrial craft, and then the government suddenly changed it's story and denied any such thing had taken place. So what happened actually fits very well with what you say here.

david3565 said:
That, and any reason to keep it secret disappread with the Cold War. Also, classified material not deemed critical to national security under the FOIA has to be de-classified by law. You get into sticky legal issues the longer you keep it secret.

The need to maintain national security and secrecy did not suddenly disappear when the Soviet Union fell. We have other enemies in the world, believe it or not. If we have an extraterrestrial craft and are engaged in research to discover the secrets of it's technology which will most certainly have military application, this is, by definition, a national security issue. And also, you have to consider the problem the government would face if it really admitted that such a thing happened...it would be admitting that we have confirmed contact with beings from another world. The societal uproar this would almost certainly cause in and of itself would be a threat to national security.

Speaking of the Roswell crash being leaked to the public, isn't this the year that aliens are supposed to make contact? I seem to remember my sister (who was never exactly in touch with reality to begin with) mentioning something about aliens making contact in 2004...

Quick point of order:

Isn't this entire thread, by definition, ASB? Or are we assuming non-bat-like aliens? :)

Alright, resume.

If a spaceship crashed a short distance from the Army Airforce base that housed the squadron that dropped the atomic bomb on Japan, I would suggest that there would be a real panic in the halls of power.
Why were aliens flying over New Mexico? Did they know the significance of Roswell? Did they see or hear the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Where they alone? Have they made contact with the Russians? How long have they
been visiting earth? Are they spying on us?
I can think of a million reasons why such an event would be kept a secret in the 1940s.
Talk of Roswell always reminds me of Max Von Sydow in the movie "Flash Gordon" something along the lines of
'pathetic earthlings, sending yourself into the void without
any idea as to who or what was out here. If you had any
inkling about the true nature of the universe, you would hide
from it in terror.'

Ilta said:
Quick point of order:

Isn't this entire thread, by definition, ASB? Or are we assuming non-bat-like aliens? :)

Alright, resume.

As I said before, it's only ASB if we know for sure the aliens don't exist and the Roswell crash didn't happen. If they do exist and it DID happen, then it's history. What we don't know is which is actually the case.

Anthony Appleyard said:
I saw on TV that there is an annual UFOism festival at Roswell.

That's true...they have created quite a cottage industry out of the affair. Of course, if the government is covering up a real crash, all that stuff just helps them because the general population sees that and thinks, "what a bunch of whackos." ;)

Mark Ford said:
If a spaceship crashed a short distance from the Army Airforce base that housed the squadron that dropped the atomic bomb on Japan, I would suggest that there would be a real panic in the halls of power.
Why were aliens flying over New Mexico? Did they know the significance of Roswell? Did they see or hear the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Where they alone? Have they made contact with the Russians? How long have they
been visiting earth? Are they spying on us?
I can think of a million reasons why such an event would be kept a secret in the 1940s.

very good points.

If this thread leads to the Roswell aliens being real and this becomes general knowledge, I would like this to lead to proper human contact with them and Man gets interstellar spaceship technology; but that leads into a space story and away from this forum's type of topics.