Lindberg wins the election in 1940

What would happen if Charles A.Lindberg defeated FDR in the 1940 election. I understand writer Phillip Roth is publishing a book about this. What would the Us' policy be toward Hitler? What Think the people, here?

Last edited:
I think one would also have to wait until December 1941. If Japan bombs Pearl Harbor and Germany declares war upon the United States in support of its ally it would appear that things may run the same course. Without doubt there is definate possibilities for a negotiated peace by 1944, or even following a successful coup against Hitler.

Admiration of Hitler was pretty prevalent throughout the West up until the outbreak of the war, the Nazi's were flashy and photogenic and got things done during tough economic times. Yet the tune changed immensely during the war. This appears that the POD may run the in same vein as WI Lord Halifax was Prime Minister. One may change Hitler's opponents, Lindburgh for Roosevelt, but eventually everybody recognizes how evil the Nazi's were.

Why would Lindbergh be running for President? How senior was he in the anti-intervention movement (which was allied to the GOP due to its hostility towards the Democratic FDR)? I thought he was sort of a more-erudite-than-usual celebrity spokesman for America First.

I think if FDR is going to be beaten by anyone in the anti-war movement, it'd probably be Taft...he nearly got the 1940 GOP nomination, but was edged out in a quasi-coup by Wilkie's supporters. Of course, Lindbergh, being a celebrity, could be incorporated into the government somehow.

Matt Quinn said:
Why would Lindbergh be running for President? How senior was he in the anti-intervention movement (which was allied to the GOP due to its hostility towards the Democratic FDR)? I thought he was sort of a more-erudite-than-usual celebrity spokesman for America First.

I think if FDR is going to be beaten by anyone in the anti-war movement, it'd probably be Taft...he nearly got the 1940 GOP nomination, but was edged out in a quasi-coup by Wilkie's supporters. Of course, Lindbergh, being a celebrity, could be incorporated into the government somehow.

Former president taft?

emperorharry86 said:
Former president taft?

Robert Taft, his son, was the leading critic of the Roosevelt administration. In fact, I just opened another thread posing a question about him. He was the resident ultra-conservative of the US Congress during WWII and Korea.

K IS FOR KILLING ?

Would the election of Lindbergh as pres have resulted in a scenario similar to that portrayed in K IS FOR KILLING ?

Melvin,

Methinks probably NOT. Lindbergh, like many of those who opposed US entry into WWII, has been unfairly tarred as some kind of Nazi (as if opposing a war against a dictator means endorsing a dictator's policies). Granted, the whole acceptance of the sword from Goering and his adulterous relationship with the German woman might have skewed his judgement.

Lindberg winning the 1940 election

Okay, I got the idea from PEOPLE'S ALMANAC(TWO) which had several AH scenarios and a book I read at a book store "AMERICAN AXIS". Strange, this book is no longer available. I suppose "They" got all the copies. Anyhow, Lindbergh, I feel could have been in a position to challenge FDR. What would a Lindbergh administration do? Concentration camps in NEW YORK state? What else?

ED(Mister) said:
Okay, I got the idea from PEOPLE'S ALMANAC(TWO) which had several AH scenarios and a book I read at a book store "AMERICAN AXIS". Strange, this book is no longer available. I suppose "They" got all the copies. Anyhow, Lindbergh, I feel could have been in a position to challenge FDR. What would a Lindbergh administration do? Concentration camps in NEW YORK state? What else?

First, do you know how much that book is out of date by now? I think I may have a copy of it at home. However, there appears to be omission about the responsibility of both the Congress and the Supreme Court, not to mention the individual state governors and legislatures, to counteract such a decision. How things happened in Germany are not necessarily going to play out the same way in the United States. There are 48 state legislatures to corrupt also - sounds pretty tough to me.