Alternate isreal locations

Straha

Banned
1 I heard that the UN conference on racism resulted in the US and Israel
leaving in the middle because of anti-Israel statements. That got me thinking: What if Israel had been put somewhere else, like Ethiopia? (They almost did, but decided on its location in OTL.)

What I have come up with is: There would be peace in the Middle East. There would not have been an oil embargo in 1973, and so the economy would be better. Carter would have been re-elected in 1980, since the reason he was not re-elected in OTL is because people thought he did a
bad job of handling the inflation and unemployment, part of which resulted from the embargo. Because of Carter, people woulf have elected Mondale in 1984, and, most likely, re-elected him in 1988. Then we would have Clinton for two terms, and probably Al Gore right now. Thus, Republicans would not have been in office since 1976. We would probably see more laws that reflect the values of the Democratic party. With peace in the Middle East, the Gulf War would never have happened. However, there would not be peace in Ethiopia, but at least they don't control the world's oil. Of course, the Zionists would not be happy about it. They would want Israel to move to what the Jews consider the holy land.

2 Here's an interesting thought . What if instead of allowing the Jews to return to Palestine and dissplace the native population en Masse out of guilt for allowing the holocaust to happen , the allies (primarily Britain and the USA ) decide to clear a large chunk of northern Germany of its population and hand it over to the Jews as their new Homeland ? As well as being a supremely ironic way of punishing Germany , it avoids all the last 60 years of Middle east tensions , half a dozen wars and countless deaths ! Russia agrees to allow any Jews who wish to to leave its borders and enter "New Israel" (Stalin is happy with this as he reguards Jews as being pro-american , but doesn't want to be seen as endorsing the holocaust as it is now a stick to beat the remainder of W Germany with.) New Israel quickly becomes a power . Its populace rapidly sweelling and with a population almost all of who are well trained militarily as it on the cusp of the new cold war and has a determination never agains to let its people be exterminated so easily .

I have a feeling five or six terms is as long as the American people will tolerate one party having the Presidency, so we would have a Republican POTUS by now.

Straha

Banned
tom said:
I have a feeling five or six terms is as long as the American people will tolerate one party having the Presidency, so we would have a Republican POTUS by now.
true but society and therefore the republican party would be to left comapred to OTL....

Straha, three points:

1) I think we already have an Israel in East Prussia post here. Can someone confirm/deny?

2) Carter's only success was Camp David, so you may have just made his life even worse! Also, with Carter and then Mondale, you probably just erased Clinton, a much better politician than both of them.

3) Actually, it was the racist and anti-Semitic statements at the conference that caused the walkout, not to mention tainting such UN conferences for years to come. Criticism of Israel is old hat, no one really cares, least of all the Israeli diplomats.

4) Let's not forget the number of Jews expelled from the Arab world exceeded the number of Palestinians in 1948. Also, Arab pressure was a major force persuading the British to cut most Jewish immigration just before WWII.