1793 - 1794 - France Disintegrates?

What if, following the execution of Louis XVI and the Jacobin seizure of power, the revolts against the central revolutionary governments in the provinces had been more successful, and better supported by outside powers? Could France have simply broken apart into several smaller countries, some with anti-monarchy governments, while others acknowledged the surviving Bourbon line or other claimants? Without a strong, unified France (either revolutionary or non-revolutionary) how might the history of Europe play out in the future?

Nah, I don't think it would happen that fast. And the remaining Bourbons wouldn't like it, too. A country that has been united and centrally organized for a long time won't fall apart that fast. The HRE was divided into some hundred states which allowed Switzerland and the Dutch to go their own way, eventually to seperate. If the Germans would dismember France after a victory in 1871 / 1914 / 1940 into the states of Bretagne, Normandy, Lothringen, Aquitaine, Languedoc and rest France (plus, maybe, the people's republic of Paris) and make it stay that way for at least some decades (giving them linguistic advice, i.e. prepping up dialects to languages, introducing different words in the different countries - like Stalin did with dividing the people from Turkestan into Uzhbekes, Turkmenes and so on), France could stay divided... but it would be very hard to achieve.

Susano

Banned
But nice, nontheless, heh.

Anyways, I kinda agree wiuth both points. A sudden dissolvation is unllikely, but it could start a PROCESS of such.

What if the King or his heir isn't killed and retreats to some portion of the country with enough support to protect him? Maybe along the border with Switzerland and Italy? Perhaps taking with him a young captain (?) of artillery?

Faeelin

Banned
Susano said:
But nice, nontheless, heh.

Anyways, I kinda agree wiuth both points. A sudden dissolvation is unllikely, but it could start a PROCESS of such.

Disagree. 19th century was one of nationalism and consolidation, and france had been united up to that point.