Alternate ST History:

Chris

Banned
What might have changed in the ST history if the Romulans, Cardassions, Ferengi and Tholians sent warships of their own to the Battle of Wolf 359?

Chris

Less Fed deaths, a great new relationship emerging, an even peachier future. Deflector Dish surprise for everyone. ;)

Even if they send their fleets, I'm not sure it would do much good anyway. Generally, I pin the defeat at Wolf 359 on the fact that the Federation couldn't hustle enough reinforcements to the area fast enough, and Wolf 359 had to be fought with whatever ships they had on hand. After all, in DS9 we heard about massive ship losses in the 500+ range, yet they shruged it off. If the Borg are coming in fast enough, many of those ships would't get to the battle in time.

Chris

Banned
Well, the Enterprise was able to catch up with the borg before they attacked earth,. so I think the borg were taking a lesuly path towards earth, rather than going as fast as possible. The real problem was that the borg had the unwilling assistance of one of starfleet's finest officers and a year to prepare for what starfleet had to offer.

So if the other powers sent ships to help out at Wolf, I would expect the borg still to win, but the postborg galaxy would be very different. I would think that the other powers would be willing to forget their minot differences once they had a taste of the borg and be willing to work together to stop them. Even collaboration on an early warning network would be of incredible value.

Chris

At Wolf 359, didn't ONE Borg cube take out 30-odd Federation ships? I figure if the other Star Trek races brought reinforcements to Wolf, they could overpower the Borg with sheer firepower and numbers.

In First Contact, before the Enterprise showed up and pasted the Borg cube attacking Earth, the Federation ships were doing nicely enough against it. I think they would have won eventually, but at a higher cost in men.

Chris

Banned
I don't think that the feds were doing so well in First Contact. Look, the Cube was still going for earth and it was swatting starfleet like flies. Picard saw their weak point, if Picard had not disobayed orders, earth would have been assimulated.

Chris