Jennifer Government

I read a good book recently, Jennifer Government by Max Barry. It's funny, and it's fast-paced, and it's AH.

It says in the legal waiver bit at the beginning that the book is set in the future (so please don't sue me for using your company name) but reading the book, it isn't - it's set in a plausible alternative present - a left-winger's nightmare and a neo-conservative's dream where the government has stopped providing social security and contracted out practically everything - including policing and defence. As a result, no-one has to pay any taxes. Oh yes, and the book is set in Australia, which is part of the USA. It doesn't say how this world came about.

Jennifer, the heroine, is an FBI agent who is determined to investigate a serial killing even though there's no money in it (the victims were all lower-class, so their families can't afford to pay for an investigation). This is set against the backdrop of increasingly violent competition between two rival loyalty card schemes. The book is a satire on capitalism, of course, but the scary thing is how close it seems to the world we're already living in. It reminded me of Bull by Douglas Rushkoff.

I should warn that I lent it to a friend and she didn't like it - she said it was too much like a running joke that gets boring after a while. But it's the best book I read for a long time so I thought I'd recommend it here.

Australia is part of the US and Canada isn't? Nah, that's backwards... when the US marches out on it's glorious cause to unite the world under our flag, Canada will be first, Australia second... :p

Xen

Banned
I played the online version of the game where you get to create your own country and manage it, I think I ended up with a Libertarian Socialst Democracy and had a population of 200 million, with a strong military. Fun game for the first month, then I kept getting asked the same question over and over, I got asked the question about Harry Potter books at least 3 times a week. I know one week I was asked the same question all 5 days, so I basically said screw it and let the game go.

David Howery said:
Australia is part of the US and Canada isn't? Nah, that's backwards... when the US marches out on it's glorious cause to unite the world under our flag, Canada will be first, Australia second... :p

IIRC all American nations, plus the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and Japan are part of the USA in the book.

Akiyama Quote:
Originally Posted by David Howery
Australia is part of the US and Canada isn't? Nah, that's backwards... when the US marches out on it's glorious cause to unite the world under our flag, Canada will be first, Australia second...
IIRC all American nations, plus the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and Japan are part of the USA in the book.

Wow! Now that's a truly cool world... I assume the US is going forward with it's plan to bring the rest of the benighted world under the benevolent aegis of the US flag? :cool:

David Howery said:
Wow! Now that's a truly cool world... I assume the US is going forward with it's plan to bring the rest of the benighted world under the benevolent aegis of the US flag? :cool:
I'll drink to that!

Xen said:
I played the online version of the game where you get to create your own country and manage it, I think I ended up with a Libertarian Socialst Democracy and had a population of 200 million, with a strong military. Fun game for the first month, then I kept getting asked the same question over and over, I got asked the question about Harry Potter books at least 3 times a week. I know one week I was asked the same question all 5 days, so I basically said screw it and let the game go.

NationStates has changed a lot since then. They got a bunch of new issues. Check it out again.