Corporate Government Challenge

With a POD after 1776, create a situation where Corporations completely overshadow most governments, providing defense services, infrastructure, etc. Your only restriction is that you can't make any cracks about OTL.

Grey Wolf

Donor
DominusNovus said:
With a POD after 1776, create a situation where Corporations completely overshadow most governments, providing defense services, infrastructure, etc. Your only restriction is that you can't make any cracks about OTL.

I wrote the beginnings of a novel about this in 1986... I guess I based it on the breakdown of civilisation etc and the remnants picked up by corporations

Grey Wolf

Maybe two corporations (let's say Dupont and and made up one, Vermen Corporation) come under management that want to elimante their competition. They create vass private armies by 1932, and a coprpration war breaks out in 1933. In 1938, Dupont comes out on top, and eventualy provides all the defense and everythnig for the US.

Roosevelt

What if Teddy Roosevelt doesn't start "Trust Busting" when he was president and the corportions take over?

WICAS

Had this concept of hyperinflation ravaging the major economies in the 1960's and 1970's. A consortium of international corporations get together and form their own currency called International Units of Deposit (IUD's). There is some central bank they control and it prevents the real value of IUD's from declining more than 1% a year. This consortium starts simply to form a stable currency but as years go by it adopts an increasingly libertarian philosophy and sees itself as the opponent of governments interfering with business. Around this now it officially adopts the title of the World InterCorporate AntiState.

Tom_B said:
Had this concept of hyperinflation ravaging the major economies in the 1960's and 1970's. A consortium of international corporations get together and form their own currency called International Units of Deposit (IUD's). There is some central bank they control and it prevents the real value of IUD's from declining more than 1% a year. This consortium starts simply to form a stable currency but as years go by it adopts an increasingly libertarian philosophy and sees itself as the opponent of governments interfering with business. Around this now it officially adopts the title of the World InterCorporate AntiState.

and of course they would have to form an elite guard to protect their assets which would eventually turn into a military arm. maybe a mega depression occurs and it steers the world through it consolidating its power along the way.

Diamond

Banned
Tom_B said:
A consortium of international corporations get together and form their own currency called International Units of Deposit (IUD's).

Hmmm... I hope they don't try and use them for birth control... :)

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the East india Company, it more or less WAS a state within a state in OTL anyway, generate a little more political instability/corruption in late eighteenth century Britain and it could possibly have acquired enough influence there to escape regulation and to become the major political force in the nation. This was certainly the fear of the contemporary reformers who engineered the first Regulatory Act.

Could corporate gov't arise from the feudal system at all? Just the other day, it fit together, but now I can't quite see it.