NFL what ifs

What if the KC Chiefs upset the Packers in SuperBowl I?

What if the AFL folded?

What if the Denver Broncos decided not to kick the ball to the most dangerous return man in the history of football in 2003 at Arrowhead?

Xen

Banned
What if the Indianapolis Colts owner got his wish and traded Art Modell franchises in 1995 keeping the Browns in Cleveland and allowing Modell to take the Colts to Baltimore, where they belong?

What if the Seahawks didnt move back to Seattle after days of being Los Angeles?

What if Los Angeles built a brand new football only stadium for the Raiders in 1994?

What if the Jets stayed in Shea Stadium?

Xen

Banned
Amerigo Vespucci said:
No, Xen, no. The Colts stay.

*LOL* sorry but the Colts should never have left Baltimore, they had good fans there, even when they were waning in the early 80s it was more than alot of teams (like the Buccaneers and Cardinals) had. The owner got greedy and skipped town in the middle of the night for a new stadium.

Thats why I hate it when people say Modell was greedy, at least he had the decency to let Clevelanders know they were losing their team. People in Baltimore went to bed with a football team and woke up without one. They were then promised the next expansion team if one doesnt relocate there first. 10 years later several teams threaten to move there but dont, and the NFL expands to Charlotte and Jacksonville, both places are now struggling NFL cities (well Charlotte rebounded this year).

Another intresting what ifs,

What if after 1995 the Colts team got to stay in Indianapolis, but the name Colts and the history up to 1983 had to go back to Baltimore, or at least the teams history? You still have your NFL franchise and Baltimore has its football history back. (Who thinks of Johnny Unitis and thinks of Indianapolis anyway?)

or

The Bills owner sells the team to an Indianapolis business man (or just flat out moves the team) to Indianapolis in 1982 (this nearly happened, the owner looked at the Hooser dome with intrest)

Another one yet, What if the NFL allowed the Eagles to move to Phoenix in 1984/85? Would the Cardinals stay in St Louis? Would Phoenix have more intrest in football? Who would move to Philadelphia?

Hi im new to the board, its my first post, What if the Cleveland Browns had won one or more of the AFC Championship games the they lost to the Broncos in the 1986,87, and 89 seasons. Without making the Drive and 3 early career Super Bowl apperences does John Elway become as highly touted as he is? Does a Super Bowl apperence or three add enough success to the franchise so that Art Modell gets the stadium he wanted?

Have you guys seen the Playoff commercials about NFL what ifs? Like, what if San Fran lost to Dallas in 1982, and the Bengals win the SB that year? It is complete with a #87 Jerry Rice jersey when he played with Cincy in this ATL.

Anyway, what about these PODs?

Dallas defeats Pittsburgh in SB X or SB XIII?

Cincy holds on against the 49ers and prevent one of Joe Montana's comebacks?

Raiders win in the snow in New England?

Titans tie up Super Bowl Thirty Four against the Rams?

San Fran defeats New York in the 1990 NFC Championship, and faces the Bills?

8 Football ATL's

1) KC upsets Green Bay in Super Bowl I --- The AFL is accepted as a viable league sooner. The Lombardi trophy acquires a different name.

2) AFL folds --- The NFL is a smaller, less popular league in the long run. Football in general is less popular.

3) Don Shula puts in Unitas earlier in Super Bowl III --- The Colts go on to beat the Jets. This is a final nail in the coffin of the AFL. The Colts refuse to move over to the substandard AFL and the league collapses. Some of the teams are folded into the NFL, but in the long run the NFL is a much smaller, less popular league. Football in general is less popular.

4) Franco Harris never makes the immaculate reception and Oakland beats Pittsburgh in '72 --- The Raiders go on to lose in the AFC championship to the undefeated Miami Dolphins. Years of Madden whining is prevented.

5) Pittsburgh drafts Dan Marino in 1984 --- Instead of passing on Marino as they did, the Steelers pick up the hometown star. He leads Pittsburgh, instead of Miami, to the Super Bowl XIX (which the lose to San Francisco). Don Shula retires sooner. Marino doesn't set nearly as many passing records in the "run-first" Chuck Knoll offense. Marino leads the Steelers to 3 more Super Bowls late in his career. XXIX in which they lose again to San Francisco. XXX in which they defeat Dallas. XXXII in which they defeat Green Bay.

6) San Francisco beats the NY Giants in the 1990 NFC Championship game --- The Bills beat the 49ers. Bill Parcells is not regarded as nearly as great of a coach.

7) Buffalo beats Tennessee, preventing a Music City Miracle --- Jacksonville eventually wins the AFC to face St Louis in the Super Bowl. The Rams still win.

8) Tom Brady's infamous "tuck" is ruled a fumble and Oakland beats New England 2 years ago --- The Raiders go on to lose to the Steelers in the AFC championship. The Steelers beat the Rams in the Super Bowl based on the logic that great defense beats great offense.

HelloLegend

Banned
What if about two years later, I posted a sports what if regarding baseball instead of football, and many got mad because the POD was Sept 11th, 2001?

Last edited:

HelloLegend

Banned
To Max

I am causing a butterfly effect on the new community I have just joined.
I posted a question in your famous mongol thread... regarding how Mongols might have affected Manchurian politics
I respectfully request an answer when you have the time.

Since I had the new post for the Chaos TL ready today, I answered your question too... it's in the thread, just look it up.

If the Indy Colts move to Baltimore what team will wear purple and field a starting lineup entirely of convicted felons? Well, I guess we'd still have the Bengals...

Xen

Banned
Tom Veil said:
If the Indy Colts move to Baltimore what team will wear purple and field a starting lineup entirely of convicted felons? Well, I guess we'd still have the Bengals...

Ever hear of a team called the Cowboys? The star on the side of their helmet doesnt mean lone star state, it stands for the Dallas Police Department.

Besides if the Colts left Indy to go back to Baltimore (where the name, colors and pre 1984 history belong) then the expansion club that became the new Browns would probably be located in LA.

Shope

Banned
If the Bills had won the AFL champoinship that year (they lost 31-7), they'd've faced the Packers in SBI. The Bills stacked-up much better against the Packers: KC was the AFL's best offensive team (about 90 more points scored than Buffalo), but Buffalo's defense was head and shoulders above KC's.

Superbowl I: When Jack Kemp gets injured in the first quarter, his backup, Darryl Lamonica, comes in to lead the Bills to victory with his fourth-quarter bomb to Elbert Dubenion.

What if Scott Norwood kicked the FG in the XXV Super Bowl?

Is Bill Parcells still regarded as a genius coach?
Would he be coaching in Dallas today?
Does the confidence push Buffalo on to win further SB's?
Is Jim Kelly regarded as one of the great QB's?

Shope

Banned
Rmered said:
What if Scott Norwood kicked the FG in the XXV Super Bowl?

Is Bill Parcells still regarded as a genius coach?
Would he be coaching in Dallas today?
Does the confidence push Buffalo on to win further SB's?
Is Jim Kelly regarded as one of the great QB's?

Norwood makes that kick and the Bills don't see another Superbowl. I think Kelly is actually better off being 0-4 in the SB than he would be 1-0. Afterall, I notice that you didn't mention Jeff Hostetler--the winning QB of that game.

Parcells would still be regarded as a genius just for keeping the Giants in that game--everyone saw the Bills as being the better team.

He might still be in NY--because he doesn't get as full of himself

Buffalo kept going to those Superbowls because they didn't win them. One win would've sated Ralph Wilson's lust and he wouldn't've paid--of course, it would've made the Bills more competitive today, since they wouldn't've gotten in salary cap trouble from paying all those Superbowl players. Plus, if the Bills had won one of them, Wilson mightn't've fired Bill Pollian . . . What kind of team would the Colts be today in that case?

err-people.The pre1984 history with memorabilia of Baltimore Colts was returned to Baltimore.Also Paul Tagliabooboo-intentional did everything to keep Baltimore from getting a team.Alright-WI the name and colors returns to Baltimore and the team stays in Indianapolis?What about the name?Name them after Irsay-The Fighting Boozehounds! I don't think the AFL would fall apart after SuperBowl 3 and Colt's victory as the merger was done before that!