Challenge: President Douglass

NapoleonXIV

Banned
With a POD of 1861 make Frederick Douglass the first black president of the US. I'd put this in ASB but I've figured out one that I think is at least mildly plausible. I'll post it later

Black majority south

The Union follows more of an antislavery policy. The Confederacy retreats into Texas after the Union concentrates all of the Eastern Theatre forces on the Potomac, instead of sending the expedition to the Peninsula. The Confederate army is forced into battle by methodical destruction of slave owner's property as the Union advances, and is destroyed as the Union army advances until confronted and then digs in, which forces the Confederacy to make repeated frontal attacks.
The Union follows a policy of enlisting slaves in the army. There are more black troops. They are used in Pensacola to cut Florida's contact by rail to the rest of the south as an anti blockade runner strategy. As the front advances into the Confederacy there are more and more black troops, till after Louisiana the Union army is half black. The Union army moves into Texas before the Confederacy surrenders. leaving a railroad behind.
The white troops joined earlier and are demobilized earlier, leaving the army with a bigger black majority when they are sent to Texas as the war winds down to threaten Maximillian in Mexico. When Max falls, the black army is demobilized in place, giving Louisiana, Florida, and Texas a black majority.
Eotvos gravity meter work is copied by the Texas government's experiment with surveying resources. The first American dipmeters are operating in 1868 instead of 1924, kicking off the Oil Age a little early by finding Spindletop and making Texas and Louisiana rich because they have lots of salt dome oil. Texas increases it's population rapidly in a boom as the railroad is extended across south of the Rockies instead of through the middle.
Texas is split into five parts as per it's treaty with the US on joining in 1845. The blacks now have 14 senators for the 1876 election and just put the Republican president over the top. The political power this gives them helps cement their place in society. They also get six new Senators for New Mexico, Arizona, and Southern California as the railroad ends in San Diego and increases the population along the Colorado faster in this ATL.
Finally, in 1884 Douglas is the Republican candidate as the two white candidates fight over who should be President and back him as a compromise. Douglass is someone thay hate less than each other.

Either Hamlin is Lincoln's running mate in 1864 OR Johnson is also murdered on Good Friday 1865. A more radical reconstruction- especially land redistribution makes African American voting rights meaningful.

EITHER Douglass moves to a Southern State, is elected a Senator and serves for a long time. Is President Pro Tem of the Senate and President and Vice President both die. (Not so unlikely- eg Pres Arthur was ill and there was no VP because Arthur had succeeded the murdered Garfield.

OR The legislation of OTL is passed and succession goes to Secretary of State. It would be a push to imagine such an appointment being given to Doublass. Best possibility would be Republicans under pressure from some kind of Populist or other radical movement for the African American vote

Presidential succession in 1865

The assassins took our Lincoln and tried to take our Seward, but they sent a coward against Johnson and he got drunk in a bar instead. Some people think that was deliberate and that Johnson was spared because he was from Tennessee and was known to want to reinslave blacks.
The presidential succession was Lincoln, Johnson, Seward in 1865. Seward was secretary of state.

NO Seward was not the successor in 1865. At that time the Succession Legislation provided for the President Pro Tem to take office with a new election the following fall.

Just to clarify I was NOT suggesting that Douglass could have become President in 1865. I assume a period of African American active involvement in politics (and probably the end of the Democratic Party and some other movement like Populists becoming the Republicans challengers.)

According to the Presidential Succession Act of 1792, the Senate president pro tempore was next in line after the vice president to succeed to the presidency, followed by the Speaker of the House.

In 1886, however, Congress changed the order of presidential succession, replacing the president pro tempore and the Speaker with the cabinet officers. Proponents of this change argued that the congressional leaders lacked executive experience, and none had served as president, while six former secretaries of state had later been elected to that office.

The Presidential Succession Act of 1947, signed by President Harry Truman, changed the order again to what it is today. The cabinet members are ordered in the line of succession according to the date their offices were established.

Pres Douglass sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately given the hist circumstances of the time I agree with the others here that such a radical development was extremely unlikely to happen and borders on the ASB-ish- unless of course Douglass emigrated to Liberia himself and got to be pres there.

Sorry, to ressurect an ancient thread...But I recently read something that was quite intriguing about the idea of Fredrick Douglass being president

In 1872, Douglass became the first African American to receive a nomination for Vice President of the United States, having been nominated to be Victoria Woodhull's running mate on the Equal Rights Party ticket without his knowledge. During the campaign, he neither campaigned for the ticket nor even acknowledged that he had been nominated.

Now, What If...Instead of the Equal Rights Party nominating him to be Vice-President, they offered him the full nominiation of Commander in Cheif. After much debate and deliberatiom...Douglass decides to run on the party ticket and actuallly campaign for president in 72'.

The question is that I have however is how much pull did the Equal Rights Party have in the early 1870's? And are the any states that he could plausibly win? Or is plausible that he does win enough votes, to be recognized by the Republican Party and they try to prep him for future elections under their wing?