Votes: 42 53.2%
  • Alaska curbstomps Amagi

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Both sides either withdraw (heavily damaged)/or are both sunk

Votes: 21 26.6%

• Total voters

SsgtC

Banned
I think it depends on Amagis rebuild, Kongo had her deck increase from a weak WWI BC 1" mixed to 4" and Amagi might get a similar improvement (maybe similar to Nagato as will presumably Tosa class if built) if she does then even the super 12" becomes quite weak, if not its a bit of luck draw but Alaska is defiantly the weaker ship its just if she can hit first due to the radar and I'm not sure on average she will.
Alaska's only chance is a long range engagement where she can maximize the advantage of her superior fire control. Conversely, if she takes a hit at long range from a 16" shell, she's screwed because that shell will punch right though her armor. But it's at least low odds of her taking that hit.

Last edited:
If the 1920s Amagi is hand waved into the 40s I want to have a true counterpoint the Lexington class battlecruisers hand waved into existence to counter them. A modernised Constellation or Ranger would be a much more likely counter to an Amagi.

If the 1920s Amagi is hand waved into the 40s I want to have a true counterpoint the Lexington class battlecruisers hand waved into existence to counter them. A modernised Constellation or Ranger would be a much more likely counter to an Amagi.
And I want to pick the modernized G3.......:p

McPherson

Banned
Ok here's a good one, at the risk of incurring the wrath of a certain omnivorous California mammal. The never completed* IJN Amagi class battle cruiser (any one of the 4 ships can be chosen for this one) vs the American white elephant (and the class designed to counter the Amagi's), the USS Alaska (or Guam if you want). As always with these theoretical battle simulations, all ships and crew are in fighting condition and for the sake of simplicity, the Amagi class has been refitted with the Type 21,22 and 13 radars (the same radars the Yamato class had access to). Nothing compared to the Alaska's but it ought to make things as fair as possible, being that the Alaska's had access to contemporary USN capital ship radar suites.

Round 1: Both ships encounter each other in the south pacific, weather and sea conditions are favorable. Both ships are at battle stations after either radar or visual contact.

Round 2: Amagi class has the support of the Tone class cruiser Takao. Alaska class has the support of the Portland class heavy cruiser(and previous VS. contender), USS Indianapolis

*Amagi class were laid down but due to the Washington Naval Treaty were never completed. Amagi and Akagi were converted to Aircraft Carriers, with Amagi being damaged badly in an earthquake, she was scrapped.

The opposing Rikkos (AirSols TF 63 Aubrey Fitch and the 4th Fleet base force IJNAS) sink these rejects as part of a fiasco like the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands.

Aside from the questionable propulsion arrangements I LIKE the G3. :extremelyhappy:
No With hindsight I want all the guns forward like N&R but with C super firing so at high angle or at say 30deg off the bow all of them can fire during the chase, then swap out all the secondary guns for DP 4.5" (or 4.7" with separate ammo) and lots of 40mm.......

McPherson

Banned
APC Type 91: 32.8 lbs. (14.89 kg) v AP Mark 18 - 17.4 lbs. (7.9 kg) Explosive D

American fuses were better. Proof? Second Guadalcanal. Several Japanese Shells 8" and 14" (duds) hit and BOUNCED off USS South Dakota or failed to explode at impact. By sharp contrast USS San Francisco in the previous battle of First Guadalcanal, put many 8" shells into HIJMS Hei, some which punched into her main belt and did good work. I point out that both ships in that slugfest were reduced to floating wrecks. BUT... USS San Francisco survived and limped home to be rebuilt and sent back to rejoin the fleet. What happened to Hei? Crippled and sinking and unable to get home. AirSols finished killing her.

There is NO GUARANTEE that HIJMS Amagi would survive in a major fleet battle with USS Alaska. The evidence would in fact suggest that in a close ranged gun melee, it all depends on the men aboard, the damage control training they have and who rules the air in the aftermath of a surface gun action.

Hence:
The opposing Rikkos (AirSols TF 63 Aubrey Fitch and the 4th Fleet base force IJNAS) sink these rejects as part of a fiasco like the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands.

First and Second Guadalcanal were rounds 2 and 3 of the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands... remember?

DAMNIT I KNEW I CHOSE THE WRONG SHIP CLASS. UGH

If we take the B-65 Class, it's a much closer run thing:

Size:

B-65: 808' × 89' ×~29', ~31 500 tons standard ~35 000 t full

Alaska: 808' × 91'×~29' ~30 000 t standard, ~34 000 t full

Speed:

B-65: Projected at 33-34 kn

Alaska: 33 kn

Main Armament:

B-65: 3×3 12.2" guns

Alaska: 3×3 12" guns

Main Belt:

B-65: 7.5"

Alaska : 9"

Endurance at Cruise:

B-65: 8000 nmi @ 18kn

Alaska: 14 000 nmi @ 15kn

It really comes down to who hits first, but with better radar, advantage Alaska

There is NO GUARANTEE ...... it all depends on ....
I agree and I think the biggest "depends" is when and what state the ships are in?

Ie obviously Amagi is ready first so does it get to fight Alaska in a POW at Denmark straight like state not fully worked up and acting like its still peacetime or at the other end is Alaska finishing off Amagi off Japan in 45 when its crew have not sailed or fired the main guns for lack of oil for a year, have been kept awake by air attack for days and know its a suicide mission?

I think the only way is to go with the best each ship could be and then simply accept that we are talking about something that could easily be decided by many small changes on the day and that any fight is still only really 25%-40% v 60-75% chance to win?

McPherson

Banned
Sidebar. Then back to lessons learned and applied to Alaska.

Ie obviously Amagi is ready first so does it get to fight Alaska in a POW at Denmark straight like state not fully worked up and acting like its still peacetime...

That is an interesting comparison. The South Dakota was not worked up when she fought at Second Guadalcanal in a meeting engagement. The comparison to Denmark Strait has occurred to me on occasion, but I never thought about a South Dakota/Washington switch to that scenario to a logical conclusion in the absence of the decisive air component. Lee and his crews were better than Holland and his crews in gunnery and maneuver, but that still does not mean SoDak gets out alive. Abe was decently competent and Kondo was "average" as admirals in their surface gun actions; so there is a major quality upgrade on the enemy leadership side. Lutjens and Lindemann, it could be argued, were at loggerheads and not too good at Denmark Strait; either in their merge tactics or in the aftermath in letting PoW escape. Ship-handling for such small actions counts for so much. Like Constitution and Guerriere, ya know? Lee would have murdered Lutjens in the midst of the German confusion.

Lessons learned applied.

a. the Japanese can shoot extremely well. So could the Germans.
b. their guns while powerful, threw defective shells (as did the German naval artillery.).
c. admirals do matter. Japanese admirals seemed to have been more trained than German ones though William Marschall was no slouch.
d. men matter more than ships; if the ships survive long enough to get their shots in. Trained men especially for Hei was a tough kill. Her crew fought to the death in the aftermath. Kirishima, with her dud crew of rejects, by contrast, sort of threw in the towel after being hit less hard than the SoDak. Note how hard Bismarck fought and yet how quickly her morale factors caused her to die when cornered?
e. based on d. DESIGN actually matters, but not in the way one thinks. SoDak and Washington wore thinner armor than PoW, and were kind of like Hood that way; but were more survivable than PoW and Hood once hit. That kind of goes to a FRENCH philosophy of beam (side to side in a ship) compartmentation as opposed to Anglo-Japanese length (bow to stern transverse) compartmentation. When Japanese ships flooded they LEANED OVER instead of settled evenly. Americans took advantage of that known defect. Oddly the Japanese did, too, against the British. How that applies to Bismarck is that she wore lots of armor and had an excellent float bubble, too, but was quick and easy to kill because her internal layout was "defective" in that her protection scheme did not protect the float bubble or her internal control systems.
f. chance matters. One shot kills did in Hood and PoW. Hei and Kirishima had to be bludgeoned. Bismarck was bludgeoned; but a one shot mission-killed her before Rodney ever did. SoDak was swiss-cheesed and took an electrical own goal in addition; because of an incompetent damage control mistake. "Luck" is a Bismarck attribute that many people claim looks out for Americans, it seems; but maybe training, a bit of forethought and the factors a to e. explain these outcomes better?

So, in any fight between Amagi and Alaska, one has to determine who leads, how well are the crews trained, who did due diligence on the ammunition and ship design, who else is invited to the party and where and when is that party held?

Based on the above? (^^^)

I think
any fight is still only really 25%-40% v 60-75% chance to win?
I put my money on the Japanese before April 1943 and on the Americans AFTER April 1943. Once the Japanese have the Souvenir of Guadalcanal, they are no damned good aside from Tanaka and Ozawa and THEY KNOW IT.

Last edited:
Per OP though, this is a 1-on-1 ship match on open water, with ships fully worked up and with seasoned crews, clean bottoms and full magazines, and, for the purposes of the discussion, are too far from a carrier or friendly naval air station to call in aircraft.

McPherson

Banned
Per OP though, this is a 1-on-1 ship match on open water, with ships fully worked up and with seasoned crews, clean bottoms and full magazines, and, for the purposes of the discussion, are too far from a carrier or friendly naval air station to call in aircraft.

I am not a fan of unrealistic ATL setups. Systems of systems is the way things usually work in peace and war. That is the way these things, the Amagi and the Alaska, are supposed to be used and that is how they were designed. The situations, as to where and when, and how they meet, ought to meet the norms of their use intended.

"Seasoned crews" doesn't have to mean confident and competent, could be rather fatalistic in the case of a latter war IJN crew. Expecting to "die for the Emperor" seemed to be a hallmark of the 2nd half of the Pacific war.